Monday, December 27, 2010

not a white, nor a blue...but deffinitely a strange Christmas

I don't know why I was expecting a normal Christmas day...no day is ever normal over here :)
  • On Christmas Eve we were heading to a friend's house for a party...I spotted a teenager on the back of a motorcycle dressed up like Santa... full red suit and had one of those creepy Santa/Chucky masks on (shudder). He also had a banner attached to the back of his suit 'Neha's Sarees'
  • Christmas morning we awoke to loud drums and awful singing outside of our house...I 'tore open the shutters and threw up the sash' and saw the hidjera (a clan of hermaphrodites dressed as women)outside our house singing and dancing.
  • The entire day we were in full party preparation because we were hosting a Christmas event on our roof/balcony for our friends...I had one last item to cook...the cake - for some reason people in Curry Land associate Christmas with cake...but not fruit cake, more like a white frosted birthday cake. I mean it makes sense, we are celebrating the birth of Jesus so why not make a birthday cake. But I have to admit I have never ever made a birthday cake before...in America I usually just bought them from Publix (oh so tasty!) not to mention I have never done this sort of thing on Christmas day.
  • When our guests started to arrive again we heard loud drums outside our house...we looked down from our roof/balcony to see a wedding procession which included drummers drumming and ladies dancing...I have to admit it made me think of the 12 days of Christmas song :)
  • After the 12 days of Christmas song reenactment outside my Christmas started to get a little more normal...we spent the rest of the evening with close friends, watched a film about the meaning of Christmas, completely stuffed ourselves with very delicious food and deserts, exchanged gifts, and took pictures in front of our Christmas tree.
The cake masterpiece...a friend that does henna designs did the decorating
No one smiles in pictures here...but I swear they are happy and having a good time at our party
yay! there's a little bit of a smile :)

Rabbit ears - hehehe

Happy Holidays from Z and me!

No comments: