Monday, January 16, 2012

The Yak effect

I think the elevation is getting to me here in Mt. Everest land...Every time I see the word 'Yak' or a picture of a yak I get the giggles. Z is barely putting up with me at this point of our trip. Here is my attempt at sharing the comedic chi of Yak.
~ Our first day we stepped into a small seven eleven type store to pick up some sugarless snacks...I eat around five times a day now so snacks are necessary. On the dairy aisle in its full glory was an assortment of Yak cheeses. We will be taking Yak cheese home with us to Curry Land.
~ The hotel we are staying at is super swank...it has a bar/lounge in it like all super swank hotels, except the bars' name is...'The Yak Bar' - I'm guessing the drinks are as strong as a Yak and you will be feeling it in the morning
~ Second day we went perusing through the tourist part of town...stores were littered with Yak paintings, Yak wool, Yak pillow covers, Yak books and finally my favorite Yak puzzles. Every time I saw something Yak in this market I pointed and giggled like a four year old. Consequently every time I pointed and giggled like a four year old the store keeper came up to Z thinking we were interested in purchasing the Yak paraphernalia...Z got pretty tired of explaining 'no we do not want the Yak (blank)please excuse my wife.' I really did want the Yak puzzle but by that time Z had had enough of my strange sense of humor.
~ Day three - we took a tour of the palace here, it's a lovely place chock full of great antiques and stories...my favorite piece in the entire collection - a mounted Yak head! It was smiling at us, possibly the most heartwarming taxidermy that I have ever seen.
~ Now we are on day four...Z and me are going to be adventurous today and try Yak butter tea, it's on my bucket list ya know :)
Still no signs of Yak rides...maybe we'll try the local zoo.

No comments: