So I am learning how to drive a 5 speed...finally! And I am also learning how to drive on the left side of the road at the same time...very difficult. I am actually having a harder time adjusting to my new surroundings behind a wheel than the whole clutch/shifting thing. Not only is driving on the left side difficult but there are all manners of vehicles and modes of transportation on the road. Bicycles, ox carts, and pedestrians are the slowest and the hardest to dodge. For some reason the bicyclists get spooked and swerve towards the car while being passed...gives me a heart attack every time, the ox carts...well they are just big dumb animals, and the pedestrians...they do not pay attention...in fact they put themselves in harms way by darting out in the road.
On my first attempt driving on my own there was a pedestrian in the middle of the road, I honked, I yelled, I did anything I could to get his attention so that he knew there was traffic coming. I finally had to slam on my brakes, which I did not do with greatest finesse and the car stalled, bucked forward and hit the pedestrian right in the thigh! I was shocked that I HIT a person, he was shocked that there was a white lady driving a car. Fortunately there were no injuries to the pedestrian.
On my first attempt driving on my own there was a pedestrian in the middle of the road, I honked, I yelled, I did anything I could to get his attention so that he knew there was traffic coming. I finally had to slam on my brakes, which I did not do with greatest finesse and the car stalled, bucked forward and hit the pedestrian right in the thigh! I was shocked that I HIT a person, he was shocked that there was a white lady driving a car. Fortunately there were no injuries to the pedestrian.
No comments:
Post a Comment